Thursday 26 November 2009

Something different...













I don't think I have seen much in print, on the internet or on forums about people taking the Situationist International as a starting point for wargames, but there is a first time for everything.

I am indebted to Richard Barbrook for piquing my interest in the Game of War by Guy Debord, with some pictures of Minifgs S Range Hapsburg and Ottoman figures on a gridded terrain.

At first sight reminiscent of the gridded wargames of Gerard de Gre and Joseph Morschauser, it turns out that the Game of War was designed as a board game. Richard's set using these figures is very visually appealing.

The Class Wargames site has much more information on Guy Debord and the Game of War, including a fascinating 25 minute film, viewable as five five-minute segments, a description of the game, and its rules. Figure wargamers may be interested or reassured to see Mark Copplestone's name in the section on players of the game.

Any short summary I could try to give here would not do justice to the material so if you are interested I would suggest you visit the web site through the link above.

If you are interested in seeing more on gridded wargames Bob Cordery is currently pursuing the subject of Joseph Morschauser's rules and mechanisms over on his Wargaming Miscellany blog.

3 comments:

Phil Dutré said...

I also looked into the Game of War by Debord some time ago, but gave up rather quickly. The surrounding, somewhat obfuscating, layer of political views and philosophy that accompany the writings on this game, made it difficult to really appreciate the rules. In the end, I found it was just an abstract boardgame, somewhat oversold, and not to immediate interest for the traditional miniature wargamer.

Mike Siggins said...

I must agree with Ph.D.

I am half ready to shout, "Pretentious B*llsh*t!"

However, they did manage to get a grant to make this stuff, so hats off to them.

Vintage Wargaming said...

But if you like the films Waterloo and the Charge of the Light Brigade, the clips are interesting, surely? I just thought it was an interestingly different standpoint to your stereotype typical wagamer's...